Friday, May 22, 2015

Why Your Class Should Play This Fun Music Game


Welcome back!

This week I'm sharing a super easy music lesson that I do with my 1st and 2nd graders.Your children will beg to play this fun music game,“There Was an Old Pirate Who Swallowed Some Instruments .” My class loves playing this singing game and I love it because it allows students to quickly learn the names of various rhythm instruments while teaching them how to play and hold them correctly.

I started out by singing  the musical story “There Was an Old Lady Who A Swallowed Fly” to my class. The children love musical stories and quickly caught on to the melody and sang along with the story.

Next,  I had the class sit in a circle.  I passed out some rhythm  instruments and told the class  the name of each instrument. 

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Music-Games-1378326
Fun Music Game with 2nd Grade
Then I demonstrated how to correctly hold and play each rhythm instrument.  I changed the words of the song in order to use the names of the rhythm instruments for this game. Learn more about this game here.

Below is a mini instrument quiz that I used for a quick assessment to go along with the lesson.  If you would like the rhythm instrument assessment you can find it at my TpT store.
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Music-Games-1378326

 
Want more fun activities and ideas for your music class? be sure to Sign-up by email on my side bar to claim your teacher tips & tricks along with a monthly freebie. I would love to hear thoughts you might have in the comments below. Sherry :)


Check out some of my favorite games and activities!Contact me via emailsherrystucki@aim.com



Smartboard Music GamesSubstitute Music Plans
     

    
 

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Love this! So glad I found it on Pinterest.